Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hearing

Ebb Tide
Gender: Female
Industry: Arts
Occupation: Artist
Location: San Diego : Ca. : United States




REMEMBERING A WONDERFUL DOCTOR-Today is the unforgettable birthday of my favorite otolaryngologist (a doctor dealing w/ disorders of the ear, nose, and throat). This post is dedicated to him. I met him because I had hearing problem. In the late 80's and on the early 90's, I experienced a decade of devastating, progressive, and profound bilateral hearing loss. This was the most challenging experience I had in life. But thank God, I live in an advance world of technology where it's still possible for a deafened artist like me to go back to the world of sound. On February 27,1997 I had a successful cochlear implant surgery at the UCLA Medical Center in Westwood, California.
WHAT IS A COCHLEAR IMPLANT? It is a miniaturized computer device that helps hearing impaired people like me to hear environmental sounds and understand the spoken words. Cochlear implant is not like magic. I didn't get my hearing back overnight. It took months of rehab and practice to decipher the mechanical sounds from my cochlear implant. Today I am a happy recipient of the cochlear implant technology. I am forever grateful to my ear surgeon, Dr. Jim who gave me the chance to recover 80% of my hearing.

Comment….I have posted this not as an ad. This personal experience may help those that are interested in hearing loss technology….. LLOYD THE DECON

No comments:

Post a Comment